Pull List for January 9, 2019
Every Wednesday, all-new comic books hit the shelves with original stories to be engrossed in, and new art to be fascinated by. This is my weekly write-up where I share what comic books I read last week, and my pull list of comics for this week.
What I read last week
- Deadpool #8 – Skottie Young delivers again! The fourth wall breaking, shots at Disney, and ridiculous mission, make for another funny and smart issue. There’s a big part of this story I wasn’t familiar with, but I think it adds some necessary balance to Deadpool’s craziness. I enjoy this series, but I’ll be dropping it to make room for new titles.
- Star Wars: Age of Republic – Obi-Wan Kenobi #1 – I desperately need more Obi-Wan, and this one-off proves how much awesome there is to explore. I wish there were a way to undo all the bad parts of the prequels and keep the good parts. Stories like these help get you familiar with Obi-Wan and the hurdles he faced in training Anakin, except parts of this issue don’t agree with the person he is in the movies. This version is much better. As I said with the Qui-Gon comic, I hope we get more Obi-Wan in whatever medium possible.
Favorite of the week: Star Wars: Age of Republic – Obi-Wan Kenobi #1
Picking up this week
- Bully Wars #5 – The end of the first arc! I’ve enjoyed this series. Skottie Young is writing a fun story with interesting young characters. I think the story has a good message for people of all ages too. And that’s before you consider the gorgeous art to grace the pages of this book. Aaron Conley is drawing the most detailed art in a comic I’ve ever seen. There is so much to look at that I need double the time to read each issue. It seems this team will be taking a bit of a break after this arc because I don’t see any upcoming issues yet.
- Captain Marvel #1 – I’m excited to read this. Not only am I thrilled for the upcoming movie, but the incredible Kelly Thompson will be writing the series. It’s sure to be a fun and humorous ride.
- Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1 – My rule is this: if Tom Taylor, Kelly Thompson, or Brian K. Vaughan is writing, I buy it. But not only is Tom Taylor writing something new here; he also happens to be writing one of my favorite characters of all time. I can’t wait to get my hands on this.
- Martian Manhunter #2 – I’m not very familiar with the Martian Manhunter mythos, but the first issue was fun and introduced some interesting concepts. Interestingly enough, I thought this type of story was going to be in The Green Lantern, but its first issue left me so utterly confused that I was turned off. Thankfully, Martian Manhunter looks to be a fun and captivating cop mystery.
- Oblivion Song #11 – I keep loving this series. It’s wonderfully written, with a great main character and thrilling plot. It’s hands down one of the best series I’m grateful to have found in 2018.